Specialized Immigrant Services

Colorado Legal Services (CLS) provides representation to immigrants who have been victims of certain kinds of crime and/or serious labor violations. The following is an overview of types of immigration assistance and legal representation we provide to eligible clients.

If you suspect human trafficking, call the toll-free, 24-hour Colorado Network to End Human Trafficking (CoNEHT) hotline at (866) 455-5075.

Human Trafficking Program

Victims of human trafficking are often lured into forced labor and/or sexual exploitation by false promises, force or threats of harm to themselves and their families. Signs of a potential trafficking situation include the confiscation of identity or immigration documents, physical confinement, threats and/or acts of harm against a person or his or her family, debt bondage or involuntary servitude in a legal or illegal work setting. 

CLS provides civil legal services to victims of trafficking.  CLS staff assists victims of human trafficking to report their crime and to apply for temporary and long-term immigration relief. CLS also provides information and legal assistance to individuals wishing to sue their traffickers for lost wages and damages as a result of the trafficking.

For more information about the CLS Human Trafficking Program please call (303) 866-9396.

U Visa and VAWA Self-Petition Support

CLS provides immigration assistance to eligible non-citizens who are victims of crime, spousal or family abuse.

U Visa

Non-citizens who are victims of serious crimes that occurred in the United States may be eligible for a special type of four-visa, the U visa, and a pathway to permanent residency. Victims must be willing to report the crime and to assist law enforcement in its investigation. Spouse and/or children may be eligible to be included in the U Visa application. In the case of a victimized child 20 or younger, regardless of the child’s immigration status, his or her parents could qualify for a U visa. 

VAWA Self-Petition

Non-citizens married to or recently divorced from a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, and their children under 21, may be eligible to self-petition to adjust to permanent residence. Additionally, in certain cases, children between the ages of 21 and 25 and parents of an abusive U.S. Citizen or permanent resident may also be eligible for VAWA Self-petition. The acronym VAWA stands for the Violence against Women Act. 

For more information or to find out if you are eligible for assistance with a U Visa or VAWA self-petition, please call 303-866-9396. 

Last updated on .

Table of Contents


    News & publications

    The news about recent activities for needed peoples.

    More News

    21 Aug 2023

    Colorado Legal Services sees uptick in number of Coloradans seeking help to obtain IDs

    Identification documents vital for those who are unhoused and are seeking…

    Continue Reading

    12 Jul 2023

    Colorado Legal Services Offices Closed to Intakes Wed., July 12 to Monday, July 17

    CLS is in the process of upgrading a statewide technology-focused system that…

    Continue Reading